Wednesday, February 09, 2011

You Say Bikini

Miles and Charlie were battling with each other for legroom in the supermarket shopping cart.
Charlie was whining, Miles was ruthless. We were collecting stares, and causing traffic congestion near the deli meat display. It was Friday afternoon.
"Mommy, Charlie's gonna squish your bikini!" Miles shouted.
"WILL YOU TWO STOP THIS FLIPPING FIGHT----" I shouted back, then stopped as I absorbed what my five-year-old had said.
I spied two cucumbers that were about to get pounded by my littler son's size 8 winter boots.
I rescued one cuke, and in a much nicer voice, I asked, "You just call this a bikini?"
Miles nodded nervously. He knew he was off the hook, but he didn't know why.
Like me, Miles has a hard time discerning between cucumbers and dark green summer squash.
He was trying to say zucchini.

No comments: